Just imagine, you have lived in your home for more than 10 years. During this period you have made improvements and now the house is in perfect shape! But then the unexpected happens, your house is on fire and you are left with just the ashes...
Good thing that you have insurance!!
You then contact your insurance company to realize that since you haven’t updated the value of your home since you bought it and signed the insurance, you will not be paid in full. All the money that you put in for the upgrades will unfortunately be paid partly!
Plus, as you wanted to save money by not including your belongings in the cover, so now you will also have to pay to replace them yourself!
Usually customers realize that they are underinsured the hard way, when an accident happens and you need to be reimbursed. Being underinsured means that you don’t have enough insurance available as your property has a value more than what you have insured.
But you can prevent this situation to happen!
Please follow our tips below or contact us for more info or help!
- Update your household inventory list on a regular base and make sure the total insured value is adjusted
- If any major improvements are made or planned, have a proper valuation report done and update your insurance
- When making the evaluation, ask for a “waardebepalings” report which is cheaper than a taxatie report
- If you have any antiques or jewelry in the house, have them appraised and declared to insurance company and included in the cover.
- Ask for an insurance that covers damages caused by storm, hurricane, rainwater damage and earthquake as this can have major impact to your property and may not be included in a standard cover.
- And last but not least, keep your property insurance after paying off the mortgage. Now you are protecting your investment and that makes it even more important!
Contact us for more information on how you can have the right cover!