They say “home is where your heart is” but it’s also where you feel safe and protected.
Having a break-in can truly affect how you feel about your home and you might not feel as safe and comfortable anymore!
Some thieves are smarter than others so the question is what can you do, except having an alarm system, to keep your home safe from intruders?
You’re in luck because there are many ways to prevent a burglary from happening and it will not cost you that much money either:
- Install timed lights or leave a radio or television playing if you are out! Gives an impression of that someone is home.
- Sliding glass doors are very vulnerable. Special locks are available for better security.
- Make your doors and windows visible to the neighborhood and to the street but also have proper exterior lighting like motion-sensitive light so burglars can’t hide.
- Store your valuables away from windows or doors where they can be seen from the outside. You can also hang privacy curtains over windows to make it difficult to see inside.
- Leave spare house keys with trusted friends, family, or neighbors instead of placing them outside on your property.
- Dogs, big and small have also proven to lower the risk of burglary.
- Perform routine tasks and clean up the outside your property on a regular basis to show you are occupying your home.
- Empty your mailbox on a regular basis and if you would be gone for a longer time, have it stored at the post office or a friend/ neighbor to pick it up.
- An alarm system is excellent for home security as mentioned earlier! This also lowers the yearly premium on your insurance! And if you have an alarm system.. USE IT! Many people have alarm systems but do not arm them because of laziness and burglars know this!
- Keep a detailed inventory of your valuable possessions with photo and receipt. Your insurance company can provide assistance in making and keeping your inventory.
- Last but not least, make sure you have a Household Content insurance! This is an easy and cheap add-on to your property insurance and will replace all your belongings in case of burglary!